Saturday 11 November 2017

Fashion: In the Streets of Dalston

Felix Magazine has taken to the streets of London to check out the looks and styles that characterise this great city. Today fashion reporter Maria Ana Vieira Lopes and photographer Ana Pedro (@annapedro) focus on the streets of Dalston.

Shanice

Instagram @gruntage_baby

At Dalston Lane on a Thursday afternoon

Dalston

What are you wearing today?

I’m wearing something I made myself. It’s a two-piece dress with a kind of “sling” around sleeve. On top it’s a big puffy jacket from H&M – pretty snuggly for the windy weather – and black latex boots to give a little kick to the outfit. I’m really fond of the whole monochrome look and I wanted to bring it out to the streets today. The necklace was custom made for me by a designer in New York, and I made this one myself with the padlock; I’m very DIY.

Which piece of clothing or accessory best represents your style?

Chokers. Ever since I was in secondary school I always liked to make little pieces of jewellery and chokers were always my go-to.

What or who influences your style?

I would say Rihanna. Also, a bit of the Nineties and Naughties kind of chic hip-hop glam wear and urban goth, because I do like my black, leather and latex.

Tell me about the most special item of clothing or accessory that you own.

My high school prom dress. It’s this huge black and white gown that I made, and it was the catalyst for my creative direction. Ever since then, people would tell me I should make my own clothes, so I thought, “why not give it a kick?”

What is your favourite thing about Dalston?

I love the nightlife and the urban setting. It feels very close to home because there are also a lot of local family businesses and stores.

Where do you shop for clothes?

I usually get my fabrics around here in Dalston or in my area, in Lewisham. I buy clothes from thrift stores and random places that I like, and online from Missguided or Nasty Gal.

What are the best places in Dalston to go out?

I usually go to events in Junction House, and I also go to Pussy Palace which is a queer, non-binary club, and a really safe environment for women to express themselves and just be free.

Grace & Lionel

Instagram Lionel: @lacunametata

At the queue for Dalston Roof Park on a Thursday evening

 

Dalston

What are you wearing today?

Grace: The top is just a weird thing that my brother found in a charity shop, the trousers are Lionel’s, and these are Wellington boots.

Lionel: I got this puffer jacket in a charity shop, the item underneath is also from a charity store, over that it’s a body suit, and underneath some fishnet tights.

Which piece of clothing or accessory best represents your style?

Grace: Maybe this top.

Lionel: Right now, fishnet tights.

What or who influences your style?

Grace: Lionel.

Lionel: Something quite dark.

Tell me about the most special item of clothing or accessory that you own.

Grace: I have this very old silver fireman’s jacket that I got from a village in Japan and then painted on, it’s pretty special.

Lionel: I have a pair of black boots that I got in Japan but they are originally from Rick Owens. They’ve got patches where you can put stuff, which I love.

What is your favourite thing about Dalston?

Grace: Definitely Café Oto.

Lionel: The friends that I’ve made in Dalston and the people who live here. It’s definitely a place that I always find myself coming back to.

Where do you shop for clothes?

Grace: I usually go to Fara in Angel, and to some charity shops around London. My favourite one is a little obscure charity store in north Hampton, and they seem to have the best things every time I go there.

Lionel: I’m not really shopping a lot now, it’s mostly charity shops, but I used to love Rakuten, which is maybe the Japanese version of Ebay, and they sell incredible and really cheap stuff.

What are the best places in Dalston to go out?

Grace: I would say Café Oto again, or that famous Bagel Shop towards Stoke Newington.

Lionel: Vogue Fabrics Dalston is really fun, and The Alibi is also very nice.

Jayden

Instagram @jaydenstark

At Kingsland Road on a Thursday evening

 

Dalston

 

What are you wearing today?

It’s all vintage or second-hand. The trousers are 1970s flare, I have no idea where the shirt came from, and the blazer I bought for £2 the other day. The frames are vintage, and the bag is a mini doctor’s bag I bought from Oxfam.

Which piece of clothing or accessory best represents your style?

I would say probably a blazer. No matter what I am wearing, I also wear a blazer.

What or who influences your style?

Absolutely nothing. I only buy second-hand, so I slowly collect lots of pieces that I like.

Tell me about the most special item of clothing or accessory that you own.

I have this one jacket from a designer called Des Rusk and that’s all he ever made, after that he stopped designing. It was given to me on my first ever retail job, and I have it for about eight years now. It’s a blazer with a humongous lapel.

What is your favourite thing about Dalston?

I just moved here two weeks ago but it’s amazing how different communities can coexist in the same place. During the day the community is so different from the one at night, so it’s really good to see multiple ethnicities and different types of people all together.

Where do you shop for clothes?

I live very close by so I always go to Oxfam. Retro Mania in Pimlico is good, but I don’t shop a lot in London. I go to Humana Second Hand and Vintage in Berlin, they have really good clothes there, and then there’s a lot of good vintage stores in New Zealand, where I come from.

What are the best places in Dalston to go out?

I tend to go to Café Oto for coffee. We always go out here in Dalston and end up maybe in Dalston Superstore.

The post Fashion: In the Streets of Dalston appeared first on Felix Magazine.


Fashion: In the Streets of Dalston posted first on http://www.felixmagazine.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment