Sunday 5 November 2017

Fashion: In the Streets of Shoreditch

Felix Magazine has taken to the streets of London to check out the looks and styles that characterise this great city.  Today fashion reporter Maria Ana Vieira Lopes and photographer Ana Pedro (@annapedro) focus on the streets of Shoreditch.

Brit and Kingsley

On a busy evening at Shoreditch High Street

What are you wearing today?

Brit: I’m just wearing Uniqlo and Dr. Martens.

Kingsley: The trousers are military, from World War II, and this is a German workwear jacket. The hat was made by a lady in Spitalfields Market.

Which piece of clothing or accessory best represents your style?

Brit: My beret!

Kingsley: I would love to say my hat, but it’s maybe the workwear jacket. I normally wear these jackets and loose trousers in similar colours.

What or who influences your style?

Brit: Definitely Japanese tailoring.

Kingsley: I am really inspired by post-War times and how the guys dressed at that time, mainly after the Second World War.

Tell me about the most special item of clothing or accessory that you own.

Brit: I love my keychain because he made it for me and I carry it everywhere. I don’t have it on today because I don’t have any trousers to attach it to but I wear it all the time!

Kingsley: I normally wear a blue polka dot handkerchief on my trousers. I pin it on this small front pocket and it just hangs down on the side of my leg. It’s just my little thing…

What is your favourite thing about Shoreditch?

Brit: I think anything can happen in Shoreditch.

Kingsley: It’s very multicultural, I guess, you can come here and just be yourself.

Where do you shop for clothes?

Brit: Well, instead of buying things, I usually like wearing anything that my friends make. I rarely buy clothes but when I go to Japan I buy loads of clothes and bring it all back to London.

Kingsley: I usually go to vintage shops or military clothing websites.

What are the best places in Shoreditch to go out?

Brit: If you want good food and drinks, there is a great Indian place called Dishoom. They have the best Indian food, and it’s pretty affordable.

Kingsley: Maybe the Book Club. You can play ping-pong in the summer!

Samy

On a Sunday afternoon at Brick Lane

What are you wearing today?

The trousers are from Puma, this fishnet jumpsuit is from a love shop, and this is my black shirt. The accessories are from Blitz, where I work.

Which piece of clothing or accessory best represents your style?

The choker! I’m not wearing one today but I love it. I’ve also learnt the story of the choker; it’s so powerful and old! So maybe that represents me… it’s sexy and it feels like taking a risk.

What or who influences your style?

Instagram is my very first inspiration. Everyone is sharing their outfits and you can find a lot of inspirational pictures there. And then Rihanna, I think she is always wearing cool stuff, I love it.

Tell me about the most special item of clothing or accessory that you own.

I think everything has a meaning for me, I love my stuff and am really careful with it, but I don’t think I have one single special thing.

What is your favourite thing about Shoreditch?

You know what, I didn’t know Brick Lane before I came to London, and I fell in love with it! It’s so crowded with art, graffiti, and people are so cool. And it’s also so free! I feel so good here.

Where do you shop for clothes?

I buy especially in vintage and charity shops because I think it’s so interesting and even cheaper. London is so expensive that we are all surviving! If you ask me for a specific store, Blitz is great but I love looking around and see what I can find.

What are the best places in Shoreditch to go out?

There is a really good club called Savage, and they do these crazy parties with fancy people. I love it!

Lena

On a Sunday afternoon at Brick Lane

What are you wearing today?

I wear exclusively pastels every other day!

Which piece of clothing or accessory best represents your style?

Just the colour scheme! I would also say a long sleeved turtleneck and a brooch – I bought this brooch from a charity shop. It’s usually a long-sleeved turtleneck, a short skirt and Mary Jane Shoes, so it’s always the same but I change colours.

What or who influences your style?

I don’t think that anybody does! I would say “who” is my own mental health, because dark colours make me really depressed. I have been told that I remind people of a Kawaii Japanese style but it’s never something I took influence from, especially because my version is a lot less childish and maybe a lot more sophisticated. People look at me and think I’m really into fashion but I’m just doing my own thing and don’t know what’s going on around here.

Tell me about the most special item of clothing or accessory that you own.

I don’t think I do, I think it’s just the combination that needs to be put together in a certain way, in order for me to feel comfortable going out. It’s like an armour.

What is your favourite thing about Shoreditch?

There’s an Ethiopian place in the Old Truman Brewery that is run by a woman called Elizabeth, and I have been going to eat her amazing food since the first week I moved here. We know each other by name and she gives me lots of food for free, which is really nice of her. So, that’s my favourite place.

Where do you shop for clothes?

I actually bought most of what I am wearing today in Japan, because their fashion and colour scheme is a lot more suited to what I like. But even before that I used to wear pastels all the time. I usually I get my clothes from thrift shops, especially in England.

What are the best places in Shoreditch to go out?

I like to go to the Columbia Road Flower Market on Sunday, very early before it gets crowded.

 

The post Fashion: In the Streets of Shoreditch appeared first on Felix Magazine.


Fashion: In the Streets of Shoreditch posted first on http://www.felixmagazine.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment