Wednesday 25 October 2017

Fashion: In the Streets of Brixton

Felix Magazine has taken to the streets of London to check out the looks and styles that characterise this great city.  Today fashion reporter Maria Ana Vieira Lopes and photographer Ana Pedro (@annapedro) focus on the streets of Brixton.

JadeObelle

Instagram @jade_o_belle

At Brixton Village on a Sunday afternoon

Brixton

What are you wearing today?

I am wearing Alexander McQueen Puma trainers, trousers that I bought from a charity shop, a t-shirt from Zara, and a kimono from Hackney Central. I got the purse in Paris, and I made the hat myself.

Which piece of clothing or accessory best represents your style?

I would say maybe the hat because I made it, but I am actually obsessed with kimonos. I like that they are really glamorous but today I’ve dressed it down with my trainers.

What or who influences your style?

My mother. Then, Donna Summer, Diana Ross, and casual street style also inspire me.

Tell me about the most special item of clothing or accessory that you own.

Most of my clothes have stories, and that is why I like them. But I think the most recent piece I got and am in love with is a skirt that I bought from a charity shop, because I’ve made so many friends since I started wearing it. Recently, my friend Jade also bought me a pear-shaped bag that I love.

What is your favourite thing about Brixton?

I love the sense of community and that there are street parties during the summer. I also love that you can take stuff you don’t need to the street so someone who needs it will pick it up.

Where do you shop for clothes?

I buy mostly from charity and vintage shops, and from a few high street brands as well. I like to buy clothes that I am emotionally connected to.

What are the best places in Brixton to go out?

I love Hootananny Brixton, it has good food and it’s really nice. And then I like just walking down the street, where I can meet new friends and get to talk with someone. It’s good to hang out around here.

Kia & Raneem

Instagram @kiaselatile

At Brixton Road on a Sunday afternoon

Brixton

What are you wearing today?

Kia: black leather dungarees and a white turtleneck.

Raneem: Adidas high tops, black River Island jeans, a turtleneck from Japan and an oversized blazer.

Which piece of clothing or accessory best represents your style?

Kia: Black PVC trousers.

Raneem: I wear mostly Nineties’ sports jersey, that’s what my style normally is.

What or who influences your style?

Kia: I would just say Instagram and Rihanna.

Raneem: Nineties hip-hop definitely influences my style.

Tell me about the most special item of clothing or accessory that you own.

Kia: Probably a shirt that I got from a charity shop when I was sixteen.

Raneem: I have got a headband that I wore to my first concert.

What is your favourite thing about Brixton?

Kia: It hasn’t been that long that I’ve been here, but I really like Brixton.

Raneem: I grew up around here. My grandmother still lives around the corner, and I grew up down the road, so it’s just home to me.

Where do you shop for clothes?

Kia: I used to work for H&M, so a lot of things are from there and from a few other high street shops.

Raneem: Online mostly. I usually buy tops and jumpers from Asos Marketplace and from a website called YesStyle that sells Asian clothing which is then shipped over to the UK. The rest is bits and pieces from River Island; I normally buy trousers there.

What are the best places in Brixton to go out?

Kia: Pop Brixton is a good one.

Raneem: Brixton Jamm is also nice. I’ve spent good times there.

 

Kum

Instagram @kum_m4e

At Electric Avenue on a Sunday evening

Brixton

What are you wearing today?

I’m originally from Cameroon, and this is my African outfit. It’s beautiful in the sun because it’s a bit bright, and it’s just an outfit that makes me feel home. I bought it in Peckham from a designer who makes African clothes.

Which piece of clothing or accessory best represents your style?

I think outfits are based on the combination you bring out of it, from the hat to your shoes. My outfit today is from the northern part of Cameroon, but I’m from the south. Some people can wear this in a different way that may not exactly portray their heritage, but I’m confident that I represent my country.

What or who influences your style?

My style has been influenced by patriotism and the value I see in my culture. It’s my heritage and I would never forget it. These are the roots of my father and grandfathers, and it reminds me of that culture. And I feel free to wear this anywhere and to any events because I represent my culture. I value it more than any other clothes.

Tell me about the most special item of clothing or accessory that you own.

It has to be my watch. I treasure it a lot because it was a gift from my girlfriend. It reminds me of the past, and what we have ahead of us. All I have right now is my watch.

What is your favourite thing about Brixton?

Brixton is a place in London where you can find cultural diversity and heritage. It is the heart of diversity, and where you can find people from different cultures and with different ideas. It’s amazing.

Where do you shop for clothes?

I’m a bit formal. I buy my suits from Carl Stewart, my African clothes from home or in Peckham, and then I also like a few High Street brands such as Zara, Jack & Jones, and Asos.

What are the best places in Brixton to go out?

I love chilling out. I usually go to the Prince of Wales or to a bar somewhere near with a rooftop, and just chill till you can chill no more.

 

 

The post Fashion: In the Streets of Brixton appeared first on Felix Magazine.


Fashion: In the Streets of Brixton posted first on http://www.felixmagazine.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment